Sunday, October 9, 2011

2011 Portland Marathon

Today I participated in the Portland Marathon along with 15,000 other runners and walkers - the largest Portland Marathon to date! It was the Marathon's 40th anniversary and along with the thousands of participants, there were thousands of people out to celebrate and support us.  There were loud, lively bands in several locations and people dancing in the streets! There were spectators calling us by name (our names were on our bibs) and yelling out words of encouragement! There were also hundreds of volunteers handing out various carbs, candies, water and drinks with electrolytes.  They were cheering us on just as much as the spectators were. I really appreciate all their work and dedication to making the event such a success.  They had a big job to do and they volunteered to do it.  They deserve a lot of thanks.

The sky was full of clouds and it rained on us a couple different times but nothing like last year's downpour.  It wasn't a hard rain and it kept us cool.  I much prefer walking in weather like we had today than walking when it is warm and sunny.  I don't like walking in the heat at all.

Over the past week I learned a lot about carb-loading and started making carbs a large part of my diet for three days prior (not just the night before).  As a result, I felt fantastic today!  It was by far the best I have ever felt on a walk... full of energy, strength and determination.  I will be sure to carb-load prior to all future events and not worry about the extra calories I'm consuming!  It really made a difference.

Today the miles seemed so much easier to conquer!  I remember being at mile 9 and thinking it felt like mile 4.  I was at mile 18 before I started to feel the effort I was putting into the day.  (Those extra carbs ALMOST seemed to make it easy!). About mile 21 is where I started to wind down and pay attention to the distance going by under my feet.  I was getting tired and started counting down the miles yet I continued to go at a steady pace and never really lost all of my energy or my determination to finish strong.  (My motto has always been to FINISH STRONG!).  I didn't have ANY negative thoughts racing through my mind causing me to doubt myself today and that was a new experience for me!  It really was a GREAT day but with one exception.... my right shoe!

My feet sometimes swell up when I'm walking long distances and my right shoe was TIGHT.  Between mile 20 and mile 21.1, I had to stop THREE times to loosen my laces.  By the time I got it where it was comfortable, the shoe was actually slipping on my foot.  I knew I only had 5.1 miles to the finish line and I also knew I would probably get a blister or two as a result but at least my foot wasn't throbbing anymore and falling asleep.  As it turns out, I not only got a blister or two, I got FOUR!  Damn.

Whatever!  ;)

I walked 26.2 miles today in 6 hrs 17 mins 21 secs, beating my previous full marathon (Vancouver's) by 4 mins 54 secs! That's an overall average of 14 mins 24 secs miles!

My goal today was to finish between 6 hrs 15 mins and 6 hrs 21 mins so I AM THRILLED! I'll take the blisters, thank you!  I EARNED THEM!

After finishing the race, I went through the chute collecting my medal, a space blanket, food, water, a rose and my finishers' shirt.  I took one bite of everything (banana, orange slice, cheese and a bagel) because I thought I was hungry but it all made me very nauseous.  I tossed it, drank my water and sat down to wait for my friend, Linda, to finish the race so we could get our finishers' picture taken together and that's when it hit me...  I was EXHAUSTED.   I was HURTING.  I was COLD.  And, quite honestly, I wanted to CRY.

The race was over - THANK. GOODNESS.

Until next time...  ;)



P.S.  A big shout out to not only my training group, Vancouver Fit, the organizers of the Portland Marathon, the police, the medical personnel, the volunteers and the spectators but to Occupy Portland for agreeing to move over a little, giving us our space, and not disrupting our race.  Thank you!  Thanks to all of you!

To my wonderful daughter Brittany, and my great friends Linda and Mike:  Thanks for topping off my wonderful day by making my evening relaxing and special with dinner and a MUCH NEEDED, very tasty, HUGE, fresh-squeezed citrus MARGARITA!  Ahhhhhh.... Life is good!   :)




Linda and me - waiting for the race to start!

Crossing the finish line!!  Woooo-whooooo!
Me and Linda  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment