Sunday, October 16, 2011

Girlfriends Half Marathon

Today was the Girlfriends Half Marathon here in Vancouver - a marathon supporting breast cancer!  I did not worry about my time (Me! Seriously! Did not worry!) and just wanted to have a good time walking with my friends.  I even lugged the Nikon D80 around so I would remind myself to go slow and take pictures.

As the race started, I was still feeling a little worn out from the Portland Marathon last Sunday.  Walking at a fast pace for 26.2 miles simply wears your body down.  All week I was lazy and took a break from walking. I even took a break from my normal hydrating and proper eating routines so I didn't start today's walk under the best of circumstances.  However, none of that mattered because I wasn't out to set any personal record and just wanted to walk, which I did - a first for me!

The weather was perfect, temps in the 50's.  The route was BEAUTIFUL and ENJOYABLE.  I always love walking through Vancouver.

I wore my WrightSocks (those "perfect" socks I found a couple weeks ago) and they were indeed PERFECT socks! I had them on the morning of the Portland Marathon last week and second-guessed myself enough to take them off and switch back to the socks I was used to because I had only worn the WrightSocks once before and for only six miles. I should have kept them on and maybe would not have gotten the four nasty blisters!  I wore them for 13.1 miles today without a hint of a blister.  In fact, they didn't even allow my left over nasty blisters to become even nastier!  My feet were pain-free today and that is at the top of the goal list when I'm walking!  I'm sticking with these wonderful socks.  Period.  No need to second-guess again.

A couple of my Vancouver Fit coaches were out on the route with us today (Betty and Nancy) and another coach I saw (Ron) was part of the crew.  It is always nice to see them.  We train hard and it shows how dedicated and determined we all are when you see each other at various events.  I love being a part of the Vancouver Fit group and certainly appreciate all of the support I get from it.

One other person I saw on the route was my acupuncturist, Susan McCarthy.  Susan is a real hero in my life! She is the person who got me off of seven out of eight medications I was taking for my back problems and resulting nerve issues. She eliminated the majority of my nerve pain with what I always told her was "voodoo medicine" that worked! I went to Susan looking for an alternative to the many narcotics that were so easily prescribed for me by the doctors who didn't know what else to do.  I was sleeping a lot, sitting on the couch and gaining weight.  I had NO life.  My kids had a mother living in a constant foggy state of mind and in constant pain.  I felt almost worthless to them and to my husband.  My life was dictated by the pain and medication... and then MORE pain and MORE medication.  After Susan performed her "magic", I got off of the medications and started to focus and move ... and shed some pounds!  THAT'S really where it all started... with Susan and her needles! Susan - Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me my life back!  I always love seeing you, especially when you are not poking me full of holes! haha Thank you for always having something wonderful and meaningful to say to me.  I am so happy to make you proud!  Thank you.  You. are. my. HERO!   (And next time, we need to get a picture taken together!)

I enjoyed walking with a group of great friends today... Linda, Sue, Niki, Pat and Renee.  YOU GIRLS ROCK!  I'm so happy to know you.  Each one of you have immensely enriched my life over the past year.  Thank you.  P.S. The boas looked simply marrrrrrrvelous!  Muwwwah!

I finished the walk in 3 hrs 25 mins 47 seconds, averaging 15:43 minute miles. Not bad at all for a Sunday stroll! I truly enjoyed myself!  ;)

All in all, today was a GREAT day!  

Now... I'm going to sit down and relax because as crazy as it sounds (and probably is), I have ANOTHER half marathon NEXT Sunday!  :)

__________________________

"Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW! What a Ride!"


Gooooooood Moooooorning Vancouver Girlfriends!  haha
Sue, Niki, Pat,  Renee and Linda






Vancouver Fit coaches -  Nancy and Betty


It was all about the laughter and fun!





















Sue - you crack me up! Mile 13!



Time you see is "gun time".  Official time to finish was 3:25:47.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment