Sunday, December 11, 2011

2011 Portland Holiday Half and 5k

Me, Mom and Linda
The Portland Holiday Half was today and wow, it was cold! It was 34 degrees when we started with a lot of moisture in the air, making it WET and COLD. I thought my toes were going to break off like little icicles. My thighs felt like ice blocks. We had a delay of ten minutes at the starting line which made us that much colder. I don't think my dedos (fingers and toes) started to thaw out until about mile 5. It was C-O-L-D.

Linda and I started out at a nice easy pace. We were both in it to finish the race but in no particular time. I promised Husband I would not run and honestly,  I couldn't have even if I wanted to. I could feel the pressure of my hydration belt on my back muscles when I walked. That was enough to remind me of my injury AND my promise.

We started out going through a neighborhood with cars parked on both sides of the road. Runners and walkers were all over the road and on both sidewalks. It was hard not to bump into each other because there were so many people in such a confined space. I can't imagine how the people living in that area felt. We were like thousands of little ants! At one point about a mile to a mile and a half into our walk, the police motorcycle came from behind whirling his siren for us to move over. The first runner from the 5k event was coming through, followed by more runners! As they continued to go by, I watched ahead as they had to weave in and out of all the walkers. I didn't think that was very good planning on the part of the race coordinators. I'm sure it was pretty frustrating to those runners. Once we started to spread out more (runners past the pack of walkers), things got a little easier for everyone. However, further into the miles, the runners - being the fast movers they are - had passed the turn-around point and were coming back towards us. We were all sharing one side of the road and it became quite congested at times. The route was nice - scenic, through neighborhoods and not too many hills - but it just wasn't one of my favorites (but I have no specific reason why not!). It was different than our usual routes through Portland so that was a nice change.

Chatting the whole way...

A little past mile 7, we had just hit the turn-around point to start heading back when we saw a policeman in an SUV coming our direction, going slowly down the road. His window was open so Linda asked him if he was the pacer. Yes he was! He was pacing at 16 minute miles. Everyone behind him was required to get off the roadway and onto the sidewalk. Races are limited as to the amount of time they can keep the streets closed off. If you aren't going to finish in that allotted time, you have to finish by walking on the sidewalks and you no longer have the same support system along the route. Seeing that vehicle about 20 people behind us light a fire under our feet and we picked up the pace quite a bit. No way was I moving to the sidewalk!

It looks COLD in the picture, doesn't it? Burrrrr!

I walked the entire 13.1 miles, no running at all. We didn't even push ourselves until mile 7 (when we saw the pacer) and we still had an overall average of 15:14 minute miles. I finished the race in 3:19:46 (even with my bad back and my "sleeping foot" issue). I was very pleased with my time. Not a fast race but a good one.

While Linda and I were on the 13.1 mile course, Mom was back at the starting line and heading out on her 5k event. She was on her own this time and was very excited to be there! Mom finished 3.1 miles in 50:51, averaging 16:22 minute miles. She even placed first in her age division! Of course she was the ONLY ONE in her age division but hey, SHE WAS OUT THERE!! haha She did great! Mom, at 71, was the oldest woman on the 5k event and there was only one man in that event older than her - he was 75. When looking at both events, Mom was one of FIVE people over the age of 70.  She is one of very few. That's pretty darn impressive.

GO MADRE!

Mom had to wait a couple hours (in the COLD) for Linda and I to get back. When we turned the last corner with .10 to go to the finish line, there stood Mom cheering us on, giving us high-fives and big smiles as we finished our race. Thanks for being there, Mom! Once again, you rocked your race and have a lot to be proud of! So glad you have "the fever! "  ;)

With completion of this Holiday Half, my 2011 race days have proudly come to an end.  What a GREAT journey!  I have a couple more weeks left to pound out a few more miles but I am finished with the timers... until next year!

1 comment:

  1. How great you finished even in the wet and cold. That is definitely not as fun. But so wonderful you guys finished! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete