Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My New Accessories!


Sooooo.... these accessories don't really match my marathon outfits (but do note the B-E-A-U-tiful colors!) and this "shoe" doesn't really let me move too quickly so I wont be setting any PR's for awhile! I have to wear this beautiful cast for the next SIX WEEKS, at least. I am oh so unhappy about it too. Damn. I am officially on the "injured" list. Bummer.

The one thing I am happy about... I finally went to the doctor's to find out what was wrong. I have suffered with heel pain since January (maybe even the end of December). That pain eventually lead to total foot pain, ankle pain AND calf pain! It really HURT. I braved it out as long as I could but got frustrated (and worried) enough to go have it looked at. Thank goodness.

Through physical examination, x-rays and ultrasounds, I have the following diagnoseS:

1) Achilles Tendinosos (tiny micro-tears in the tissues in and around the Achilles tendon that then created scar tissue, making the tendon thicker). This caused most of the heel pain located in the back of my heel and the calf pain. It also caused the lack of flexibility in my right foot that I mentioned in a previous post. I let it go on for too long thus creating the damage. Nice. It is also the main reason I was put into a cast.

2) Plantar Fasciitis. It caused all the pain under my foot.

3) A bone spur on my heel. 

4) Morton's Neuroma. It has something to do with the nerves leading to the third and fourth toes, causing me lots of pain on the underside and top side of my foot near those toes.

How could one foot have so much going on? Jeez. No wonder it HURT. I wasn't kidding. I kept a shoe on most of the time because it was definitely less painful than not wearing one.

Before getting this lovely cast, I received two cortisone shots - one on top of my foot near the toes (can you say "ouch"?) and one on the bottom of my foot in the area where the heel and arch meet (can you say "#$@&!!!! That hurts!!!") Wow... the pain made me sweat! 

Lesson learned: GO TO THE DOCTOR'S WHEN NOTHING MAKES THE PAIN GO AWAY. I should not have waited so long to go but it is what it is now. Part of me kept questioning whether or not I was feeling nerve pain in my foot from my back (which is still a possibility) so I didn't want to run to the doctor's over something I wasn't going to do anything about. However, when I could physically touch the painful areas and the swelling started, I knew it was something more than a back issue. 

At least now I can start to heal and get to the other side of this so I can continue doing what I love to do the most... WALKING. It will take some time (I've been warned!) but I will get back there!

Biggest challenge now: I was unable to drive myself home (right foot!!) and might not be able to drive at all. I will have to practice around the neighborhood. (Watch out, Ginger!!) For the time being, Matthew is going to get lots of driving practice. ;) [UPDATE: It is a challenge, but I can drive!]

Biggest disappointment: I will not be able to do the Vancouver Marathon on June 17th. It was the only full marathon I signed up for this year and now I can't participate. That really upsets me. Not to mention all the half marathons I signed up for and can't do either. 

Happiness: I will still be able to do the Komen 3-Day (60 miles) in September so at least I have that to look forward to! The beauty of that walk is that there are "sweepers" (vans) being driven along the route at all times, picking walkers up that just can't go any further (there are many survivors on route as well as those currently going through treatment). The sweeper can take you to the next pit-stop, lunch or even to camp. All is not lost!!  :)

As always... I WILL SURVIVE. As my good friend Nanette says: "This is just a little bump in the road!"

I guess I better go buy myself some Pom-Poms now because I have some great friends to cheer on at the many upcoming races! 

3 comments:

  1. I will provide ALL the pom poms you could want! AND I'm pretty sure we can all help decorate the cast - I'm thinking sparkles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb, what a website it is! This blog presents valuable facts to us, keep
    it up.
    Also visit my web-site : leg problems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your post! So sorry it took me so long to see it... It fell into the spam catcher!

      Delete