Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Race that Never Was

Check out that crowd! That's only a small portion of it!

Sue, Me and Lesley

I just got these pictures and wanted to post them. This was the first year the Rock 'n' Roll series was in Portland, Oregon (May 20th). There were over 11,000 participants! The route promised to be fun and entertaining, with bands at nearly every mile!

Truth is, I'll have to wait until next year to find out just how fun it actually was!

I walked the first 1.5 miles and dropped out. My first race to ever drop out of. I was fighting myself... wanting to continue. I have an addiction to marathons and this one was no different. However, my foot/heel was KILLING me. I knew it before I arrived. I knew it would be stupid to do. I went to support my friends on the sideline... so I said. I promised Husband and Daughter I would NOT participate. But... off I went through that starting line! (Ooooooof course! This is ME we are talking about!) It didn't take long though to realize I couldn't physically do it. I was already limping and it was going to be a very long and painful walk. Slow too, which I could never accept! The real issue was (besides the promises made to those closest to me) was that I didn't want to further damage whatever was wrong with my foot. So, out of the race I went... like a good girl.

I hung around the park, listening to the bands play and spent a lot of time people-watching. Downtown Portland is really good for that. And it rained, naturally. When the first runners started coming in, I was amazed at their physique. They truly were... LUNGS ON A STICK! No wonder they can move that fast - there isn't much of them - pure muscle, bones and lungs. I always wished I was 'one of them' but of course I'm not. Never will be. Anyway, it was fun watching all the excitement. That excitement is what makes you push through it all and finish strong! That excitement makes you feel so good about having done it. The encouragement from the crowds at the finish line is very much appreciated!

Anyway, after watching the Lungs run in, I eventually started walking against the crowd, watching all of those people nearing the end. I yelled out encouragement and praise as they ran / walked / limped by me. My two friends, Sue and Lesley, came over the bridge and I joined them, jogging the rest of the way in. I wanted to be a part of it so badly! I know, I know... that was the BAD GIRL in me! I actually felt REALLY guilty and hid the medal... the one I didn't deserve. The one I didn't earn. The one I have stuffed away in a drawer at home. BUT, forget about me being a bad girl and read on... Jogging just that little distance (maybe 3/4 of a mile) caused me major pain and severe limping (Now THAT I did derserve!). I couldn't even walk that evening at home, not. at. all. Just imagine if I had done the whole thing...

One great moment of the finish though - being in the right spot at the right time - was that we stumbled right upon Chris Rene (from the X Factor) and even had our picture taken with him! My daughter was disappointed she wasn't going to be in town to come see his concert so ALL she asked for was a picture of him! She got it! ;)  (There... that made being deceitful worth it! Right?!)

Talk about a success story... Chris Rene certainly is one!

Apparently I found some pretty big cheeks to smile with! (AWFUL PIC!)

Two days later my foot was put in a cast... as you all know. My choices were made for me... I couldn't do ANY marathon. In fact, I couldn't even walk two blocks. I missed out on the Vancouver Marathon, the only full one I signed up for this year. (Good thing the Doc was smarter - and in more control - than me because I might have actually tried doing it. Yeah, I know... I started walking and lost my brain somewhere along the path. Have you seen it? I'd like it back.) In all, I missed out on four walks I had signed up for during those six looooong weeks of wearing that blasted cast.

That's all behind me now.  I'm finally on the road to recovery and plan to walk a 7k in August as well as a half marathon. It's time to get back out there and move! I'm starting out slowly (stantionary bicycle for starters) but I can't dilly-dally around too much... I have many more miles to cover!

Watch out world, I'm back!


No comments:

Post a Comment